4/8 way automatic switching joystick

Questions about the ArcadeSD hardware or setup? Ask the community for help!
BandontheRun
Current ArcadeSD Owner: Yes

4/8 way automatic switching joystick

Post by BandontheRun » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:19 am

I am thinking of replacing the joystick on my Galaga cab/ArcadeSD setup with an auto-switch for 4/8 way.
Does anyone have one of these that could offer insight as to how complex the swap would be and what/where to buy the best model? Donkey Kong with the 8 way is very frustrating!

Happswitch
Site Admin
Current ArcadeSD Owner: Yes

Re: 4/8 way automatic switching joystick

Post by Happswitch » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:21 am

This is the method I've heard about most...
Originally Posted by Teknotoyz
Has anyone used the Joystick auto switch function?
Yes, I use it and it works well. I ordered the ServoStick and a controller board from Andy at UltiMarc. The stick is a high quality 4/8 way joystick with a servo attached. It think it was $39. The controller board is like $19 and it takes the on/off output from the ArcadeSD and uses that to generate a 1 second pulse of the correct polarity to drive the servo in the proper direction for either 8-way or 4-way operation.

I have the stick defaulted to 4-way operation. When an "8-way" game is selected, the servo drives the restrictor into the 8-way position. As soon as the game ends, the ArcadeSD output returns to the off state, causing the servo to be driven back to the 4-way position. It is rock solid and pretty much foolproof. I've been very happy with the setup.

If you like, you can use an Arduino to make your own controller too.
Check out page 5 of the ArcadeSD manual for configuring the "Coin 2" current to activate: Manual

Link to Ultimarc servostick joystick: https://www.ultimarc.com/servostik.html

Original post: KLOV
Live fast, die last!

Please let me know how to improve ArcadeSD Cafe. Feedback is welcome...